My name is Jayde; I’m an interface designer and front-end web developer. I specialize in usability, HTML, CSS, cross-browser compatibility and search engine optimization.
In the Beginning
Back in 1996 I saw a personal site that someone put up and I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. It made me want to have one too. I noticed that the personal site was hosted by Geocities and built using their wysiwyg tool so I signed up for an account.
All set, good to go, right? No… after hours of struggling with their builder, I gave up. Every time I tried to save my page, it deleted itself. Now, I don’t know if it was the program or me but to say that I was upset and angry would be putting it mildly.
I then decided to try and teach myself html because I really wanted a personal page. I thought to myself, “How hard can it be?”. And that was how I started on my journey into the world of web design.
I was hired on as a receptionist by a computer retail store. The owner saw that I knew html from my resume and he gave me a few tasks. He also force fed me asp and that could be why I hated programming for a long, long, LONG time. But I’m very thankful to him for believing in me.
After I left that job I went to work at a piping manufacturer company. Again I was hired on as their receptionist. When I left this company 1 year later I had:
- Designed and launched their website.
- Taught myself Adobe Publisher and produced their 200+ page product catalog.
- Redid all of their brochures, flyers and business cards.
People Who Mentored and Inspired Me
Over the years I have had the pleasure of working with many great people. They took the time out of their busy lives to help me with mine.
- Michael Barter – thank you for teaching me what branding really means.
- Michael MacFarland – thank you for giving an unexperienced, very young designer a chance.
- Sharmaine Horstmann – thank you for your guidance and patience.
- Steven Harrison and Howard Young – you two just rock.
Fast forward 10+ years and I am working as the Senior Interface Designer for Dominion Marine Media, a division of Dominion Enterprises. The primary websites I work on are Boats.com and YachtWorld with occasional contributions to Boat Trader.
- BCIT Applied Web Development Associate Certificate (with distinction)
- 3 Day Management Seminar sponsored by Dominion Enterprises (Spring 2011)
Completed Courses from BCIT:
- C++ for Object Oriented Software Development 1 (Winter 2012)
- Systems Analysis and Design (Winter 2011)
- Intro Software Design with Java 2 (Fall 2010)
- Intro Software Design with Java 1 (Spring/Summer 2010)
- Intermediate Web Dev & Design (Fall 2009)
- Relational Database & SQL (Spring/Summer 2009)
- Flash CS3 Professional 2 (Winter 2009)
- Flash CS3 Professional 1 (Winter 2009)
- XML for Web App Dev 1 (Fall 2008)
- Intro to Web Dev and Design (Spring/Summer 2008)
- Server-side Scripting PHP 1 (Spring/Summer 2008)
- Writing for the Web (Spring/Summer 2008)
If you would like a copy of my resume, please email me jayde [at] jaydeddesigns.com.